The Collaborative Writer Forum For Aspiring and Published Writers

Hello

in Introduce yourself, if you're ready to come out from behind the curtains where you've been hiding Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:40 am
by Nashelle • 4 Posts

Hi, I'm Lynda and I'm new here, too! Looking forward to reading your posts and chatting.

Scroll up

RE: Hello

in Introduce yourself, if you're ready to come out from behind the curtains where you've been hiding Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:28 pm
by pedrempel • 2 Posts

Hi Lydia my name is Paul. After years of planning to one day try my hand at writing, at the mature age of 40 I finally got down to it. What was I waiting for? That is a question that I still don't have the answer to. I was busy working at becoming an academic, but that probably isn't the whole of it. In any case, I dropped out of university after a watershed year of self-discovery -- madness and mayhem while on a scholarship in Beijing -- and immediately started spending my mornings doing what I love, what truly fulfills me: writing fiction. Eventually I started finishing things, although it's taken longer than I had anticipated (but of course!). I believe that in life the most worthwhile and enriching experiences never come easy, and are never entirely under one's control. Creative writing, as I have come to know it, really encapsulates that.

Scroll up

RE: Hello

in Introduce yourself, if you're ready to come out from behind the curtains where you've been hiding Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:38 am
by collaborativewriter • 85 Posts

It does seem for many people that the day just comes, a line is crossed, some straw somewhere breaks some camel's back, and there you are: you must finally do it, you must finally say that which has been building inside you this whole time. It's also not that uncommon to come to the writing fairly 'late' in life. There are very clear reasons for this; for one thing, writing is the one thing that requires a fair amount of maturity to do 'well,' if at all, largely because it requires so much self-discipline, but also because writing is not something that wears out with age; if anything, maturity brings perspective, which helps us do all sorts of things. Plus, cognitively, the time right around 45 is when we are typically the most mentally coordinated we're likely to be, so our thoughts, loosely translated from neuroscience, make the most sense and take less time to sort through. So after 40 is when we have the best shot at being what's called a 'good' writer, which mostly involves the ability to write compellingly but also with clarity. Also, you're less afraid once you hit maturity; so what if it doesn't work out? You had to do it, you had to take this risk. If this were a workshop I'd ask each person to write down the story of how they came to writing. Good for you for getting there, though; not everyone does.

http://collaborative-writer.com
http://collaborativewriter.wordpress.com/
Amazon bookseller's storefront: http://www.amazon.com/shops/A80VAQG7EZPMQ

Last edited Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:41 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: junemoonchild
Board Statistics
The forum has 62 topics and 179 posts.