The Collaborative Writer Forum For Aspiring and Published Writers

Who am I?

in Introduce yourself, if you're ready to come out from behind the curtains where you've been hiding Sun May 20, 2012 2:42 pm
by J Shakti • 5 Posts

That is the quest-question. And that is the... problem? Issue.
For the sake of an introduction, I am a writer from the first time I picked up a crayon or pencil.

I am a panentheist, thealogist, deep ecology, nondualist and dualist spiritualist immersed in postcolonial complex systems thinking, transformative leadership and women's spirituality ongoing studies. Informed by the Perennial Philosophy, or Sanatan Dharma, I am not only experiencing writer's block, but an epistemological schism waiting to be bridged/connected out of recursive effort, profound caring and willingness to adapt. This relational bridge may emerge from using a more liquid inquiry into "Who am I?" The sad awareness of the semiotic and linguistic chaos from reading Western academics distorting and appropriating Indian philosophical constructs has my ability to write in knots.

Where do I start? So many distorted assumptions in academics who have thrived from ridiculing ancient traditions, and who now agree that we must seek to learn egalitarian ways from past cultures and traditions (and present cultures like the Minangkabau), while we live in a society that destroys the past to build itself from the ashes of discrediting the body of work and references across other cultures or treating them as non-existent... where Western academics decides what is plagiarism... in a presumptuous kind of consensus about the meaning of key words leading to a tragic disconnect in the web of inter-human understanding. The list of terms to bring forth in a more positive and open hermeneutic that serves as a bridge across a few epistemologies can be only compared to the "cognitive dissonance" experienced by one before learning to speak. So, I hope to make sense of the process and create a new sense of language even while within it. It looks like there is no going back to simple communication.

Is this what some mean when they refer to the problems of an academic elite? Does it mean that we will end up speaking our minds and hearts out to even less and less?

Who am I? Now only a witness of chaos. From the space of witness I long to write in constructive ways to heal what I see that leads to grief. I write to heal.

Yours in Goddess,
J S

Scroll up

RE: Who am I?

in Introduce yourself, if you're ready to come out from behind the curtains where you've been hiding Sun May 20, 2012 3:58 pm
by collaborativewriter • 85 Posts

I think your post raises some very interesting questions. I did pretty much give up trying to be "myself" within the confines of academia. It became too much of a struggle in various ways. Also, I realised that I wanted a larger audience, and I wanted to write in a different voice. If you're trying to get out a message that academia limits who can think of themselves as writers, then the audience of academia on its own seems pretty pointless.

There's much more of what you said to respond to, but I will keep it short for now and just say thanks for finding this forum. ~Alison

http://collaborative-writer.com
http://collaborativewriter.wordpress.com/
Amazon bookseller's storefront: http://www.amazon.com/shops/A80VAQG7EZPMQ

Scroll up

in Introduce yourself, if you're ready to come out from behind the curtains where you've been hiding Sun May 20, 2012 7:53 pm
by J Shakti • 5 Posts

Thank you for your kind welcome, Alison. I am very grateful for the forum that you provide here. Your essay on "writer's block" takes me through some questions and answers that I have explored and through some new ones that I need to re-read in a different frame of mind.

One big challenge that I am facing now is that this writer´s block or epistemological challenge, or paralysis from fear to move on with a project that seems to be enormous--in spite of the outlines and writing courses explaining topics and subtopics--is that I had to postpone the MA graduation and have until December to submit the writing for two courses to complete the Program.

I am interested in knowing more about the online writing course that you offer to those of us registered in collaborataivewriter.wordpress.com.

One of my problems is, for example, I have started to follow an outline for a 15 pages essay, and covering half of the material has taken me 17 pages... how do I confine or delimit myself?

I look forward to learning more about your writing courses for the support that I need to complete the MA.
Best regards,

Yours in Goddess,
J S

Scroll up

in Introduce yourself, if you're ready to come out from behind the curtains where you've been hiding Mon May 21, 2012 1:40 pm
by J Shakti • 5 Posts

Perhaps it is helpful to explain that I am not a writer yet, not published, only in the most basic sense of the word, from the simple joys of an intimate, subjective experience of connecting through the writing process. Maybe I am moved to write from a circular flow of gratitude, from the reader's love for some writers. :)

Yours in Goddess,
J S

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 1 Guest are online.

We welcome our newest member: junemoonchild
Board Statistics
The forum has 62 topics and 179 posts.