The Collaborative Writer Forum For Aspiring and Published Writers

What genres do you gravitate towards? And why?

in What do you like to write? What do you like to read? Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:53 pm
by Northern • 9 Posts

As the topic states, what genres do you seem to stick to? Which ones do you feel you are best at?

For myself, I've always liked supernatural horror and fantasy type novels the best. I also really enjoy studying mythologies from various cultures. The tone and style of a myth passed down from oral tradition has always seemed much more poetic and beautiful than other styles. I suppose I am attracted to its musical qualities. From this, I end up spending a lot of time coming up with myths for my fantasy-themed projects. In fact, the whole world building process of fantasy is what I love most about this particular genre. As for horror, well, I've always liked the sensation of being frightened (with the knowledge that it is only temporary of course)! When I was a kid the neighborhood gang of youngsters would sit around in a circle and trade stories until we scared ourselves silly and went running home to our mothers and fathers in terror. Despite the intended effects of horror I only get a good nostalgic feeling from it. So that is what I like. How about you guys?

Scroll up

RE: What genres do you gravitate towards? And why?

in What do you like to write? What do you like to read? Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:20 pm
by collaborativewriter • 85 Posts

I have read widely across the board, but always come back to mysteries. Within mysteries, Margery Allingham is my Golden Era favorite. I read a lot of horror, and what I suppose is considered semi-horror, like Anne Rice. I also read a lot of Sci-fi in my youth, and especially loved Jules Verne, I think for his style and creativity/imagination. I also read all of Poe, and all of Sherlock Holmes (but not all of Conan Doyle, I don't think).

I tend to absorb literature in its entirety, and will read an author's entire selection if I can. This is why I feel I do better with dead authors, since they have said all they're going to say, and there's no waiting. I do not wait well, as I discovered during the J. K. Rowling years.

http://collaborative-writer.com

Last edited Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:26 am | Scroll up

in What do you like to write? What do you like to read? Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:40 am
by Desiree • 5 Posts

Growing up I've always loved action and mysteries. I was some-timey with the drama stories because a lot of what I read did not really interest me. My aunt got me into reading dramas and romance novels, but I was more into action filled and mysteries. Anyway, I gravitate more towards the realness of today's society. I don't know if anyone else feels like this, but the realness of today is more interesting (at least to me) than any book I've read. Everyone has a story and I for one would love to tell those stories in their words, just like I would love to tell my story in my words.

This is a very interesting topic!

Desiree

Scroll up

in What do you like to write? What do you like to read? Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:44 pm
by Northern • 9 Posts

CW - Oh goodness the waiting is indeed terrible. I spent the past 6 years waiting for George R.R. Martin to come out with his new book. I was ecstatic to finally get my hands on it but, after such a long wait, anything less than unicorns springing from the pages would cause me disappointment. An even worse alternative would be like Robert Jordan who died halfway through his projected 10 book series. There were many very unhappy fans from that. I've read a couple pieces from the authors you mentioned (save Margery Allingham since I believe I've only read one mystery novel in my whole life...I must rectify that). I really enjoyed Verne's "Paris in the 20th Century" even though it was a bit unpolished (I believe Verne's son found it in the attic and got it published after Verne died). I think what's fantastic about very early Sci-Fi writers such as Verne and, as some would argue, Poe is the level of their creativity and imagination given the time they lived in. So many of the things described in their works were considered pure fantasy in those days but now they are part of our everyday lives. It makes me wonder if the Sci-Fi of today (which sounds absolutely insane sometimes) will be reality in 50 or 100 years from now.

Desiree- That's an interesting outlook and mindset to have when writing! It reminds me of a movie that came out earlier this year called "The Help" which follows the story of a graduate student who chooses to write a book describing the experiences of African American maids who serve wealthy southern families. Being able to tell a story, whether it be your own or another's, is a great experience!

Scroll up

in What do you like to write? What do you like to read? Mon May 21, 2012 12:49 pm
by J Shakti • 5 Posts

I prefer reading that defines my responsibility to contribute in times where I see myself aligning with the plight of those who suffer the consequences of lifestyles that some call normal. So I seek to read the works of authors who embody constructive and creative living and inspire the reader to weave more balanced ways of co-existing.

This means reading Vandana Shiva, Joan Chittister, M. Jaqui Alexander, Majella Franzmann, Carol Christ, Luce Irigaray, Sri Arobindo, Ramana Maharshi, Joanna Macy, Dorothy Dinnerstein, Luisa Capetillo, Gustavo Gutierrez, Leonardo Boff, Paulo Freire, Arvind Sharma, Marilyn Waring, Peggy Reeves-Sanday, Jeanne Achterberg, Gyatri Chakravorti Spivak, Chandra Talpade Mohanty, Cynthia Eller, Charlene Spretnak, Vasudha Narayan, Adrienne Rich, Francisco Varela... and others whose sharp conscience moves me to write.

Sri Ramana Maharshi
Maya Tiwari, Ayurveda
Sangeetha Menon
Elise Boulding, Cultures of Peace
Viktor Frankl, Life and Works
Shamanism, Mitchell May, avoided amputation
Konstantin Pavlovich Buteyko, healing athsma
Alfred Tomatis
Alexander Luria
On Education Psychology, Lev Vygotsky
On Education, Joe Kincheloe, canada research chair in critical pedagogy
Century of the Self, Parts I-IV
On Education, Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society
On Education for brainwashing: The Paradox of Extended Childhood, John Taylor Gatto
On Education, John Taylor Gatto, Against Schools
On Education, Charlotte Iserbyt, former Senior Policy Advisor in the Office of Educational Research & Improvement (OERI), US Dept of Education
On Education, Diane Ravitch, former Assistant Secretary of Education
On Education, Freire, Critical Pedagogy
CIIS- Transformative Leadership & Transformative Studies
A.Montuori, On Edgar Morin
A. Montuori, The Quest for a New Education
CIIS, Transformative Leadership Program
Leonardo Boff, Theology of Liberation
Riane Eisler
Spiritual Systems & Symbolism Arts
John Dear, SJ -- Jesus activist today
David Loye
The Darwin Project, Dr. David Loye